Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Poster Advertising in bad taste

I was in Paris over the weekend and one of the things which struck me amongst all the beautiful architecture and historical sites was the large scale banner advertising which was draped across these magnificent buildings. Most, if not all, were advertising the major fashion houses or designer jewellery and so forth. For me personally, it is a step too far. I actually found this type of advertising invasive and off putting. Traditional advertising certainly does need to be creative and standout more, now more so than ever. Yet, I found this particular style off-putting and distasteful. I think that if a brand wants to portrait sophistication and class, it needs to recognise that this must be conveyed, not only to the imagery in its advertising but also the methods it employs. I believe that beautiful 17th century architecture covered in posters advertising the latest designer shoes leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and a bad image of that particular brand’s values. I’d like to think I am not alone in this belief…

C’est la vie!

Sean Wiemann

No comments:

Post a Comment